Is your organisation culture great at saying no to EVERYTHING?
Is your creativity and innovation being blocked, stifled or left to stagnate?
If yes, then this learning note is for you! It will provide you with some great tips for tapping into that innovative spirit to inspire those around you and give you an outlet for those awesome ideas you keep having.
The key learning point here is to : Be the role model innovation leader. Be what you want most at work.
Lead, inspire, lead some more. Give it everything you have.
Innovation and getting new ideas accepted and introduced into any organisation is always tough. Often people will perceive that you are asking them to take a risk, make a courageous decision or even put their own job on the line. Some cultures are more stifling than others. Even innovative organisations can have a ‘their way’ of doing innovation. At some point in an organisation’s maturing face certain ways of behaving, acting and agreeing new ways of work become expected ways of work OR even acceptable vs non-acceptable ways of working.
- What idea can be tested without sponsorship, resources or funding?
- Do you say yes to new ideas?
- Are you setting the example for change or fitting in and supporting the status quo?
- Can you start yes whenever you can? (start by having a YES day)
- Can you prove out your ideas and make them real in anyway you can?
- How can you help you boss feel safe to say Yes?
- Is YES really a safe thing for your team to say? If not, why not?
- What behaviours need to shift to get a Yes?
- What past war stories exist that you need to respond to?
- Start leading saying YES to the new today!
What you do next is up to you…..
I’d love to hear from you, what you did do next? What did you say YES? What did you ask for a YES to? What happened? How did you make someone feel safe to say YES?
Did you say YES to everything today?
Let me know here.
For extra reading, I recommend Influence – They Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini.