Being an influencer sounds cool but in a big organisation its easy to get lost and feel like you’re a nobody.
To thrive you will need to adopt a customer focus centred on relationships, build trust and credibility through small wins, practice patience and perseverance
I work in a role where I need to lead change, coach people in agile testing strategies and get agreement from very senior manager across business and technology teams. I have no direct power, no direct reports yet I’ve been successful by focussing on small wins, persistence and always being visible. Its definitely tricky and not always good for the ego (especially when I’m used to running large team when that explicit power in just therein the role.) I think its made me a better advocate for change though because I always need to be humble and demonstrate that I’ve heard what my stakeholders want, not just put my opinion over the top. Its a style I hope to use whether I’m in an influencing role or manager role in future.
If you are in an influencer role, then this learning note is for you! It will provide you with some great tips for helping you overcome the power dynamic and build indirect power through your relationships.
Key Learning Points
- Accept that you don’t have direct power
- Understand that your style will have to change to adapt to this
- Relationships are now a focus
- Be easy to deal with
- Focus on being a positive and fun force for driving change
- Build credibility
- Patience is the key, along with being a consistent presence and contributor
- Focus on goals not expectations
- Ask, don’t tell
Be visible, approachable and easy to work with.
Use the prompts to help ask great questions and find out more information when meeting with your team:
- What relationships are key to getting decisions made?
- Who are my key influencers?
- What type of communication works best with my stakeholders?
- Who are the best influencers in the organisation? What works for them? Can I pick up their style ?
- What areas do I need to change in my style?
- How quickly can I work on my projects when it is just me?
- What will build credibility the easiest?
- What is the the path of least resistance?
- What small wins can I get quickly that will help build my credibility?
- Who can best mentor and advise me?
- What assumptions do I have? How can I test these?
- What can help me be more patient?
Where can you be more patient? What will you do today to create great relationships?
I’d love to hear from you, what will you do today to create great relationships?