Are you super creative and stuck in a super not-creative job?
Do you remember being creative when you were younger – writing scripts, painting, singing, playing the saxophone, making home movies, creating music but can’t remember the last time you got to do it?
Does your job feel like it is crushing your soul and your ‘creative’ outlet involves expletive ridden attempts to get visio arrows and lines to connect!!?
If yes, then this learning note is for you! It won’t help you with visio but it will provide you with some great tips for tapping into that creative energy again whether at work or in your non-work life. It’s time to start embracing creativity again. Being an artist does not mean having to give up your day job. This note includes learning prompts and a fun call to act.
The key learning point is to define what creative is for you.
Creativity is part of who we are. Don’t keep your creative self hidden, forgotten or pressed down. Its an important part of us. The more I embrace my creativity, the more happy, fulfilled and fun I am.
- Define what creative is for you
- Write down all the assumptions you had about why it wasn’t a suitable job, outlet or pursuit for you
- Put a line through them, burn the piece of paper (safely) – those assumptions are gone now
- Write down all the feelings you can remember having when you expressed your creativity
- Pick your favourite creative outlet
- Start doing it today, as in right now!
Some more prompts and suggestions
If you like writing, open up evernote and write down 1 sentence that just comes to mind….. need a prompt:
– describe your first overseas travel tour
– describe the first day in your current job
– describe that time your saw your fave band for the first time ever!! LIVE!!
If you like art:
– book a time to go to the gallery (such as: Heide or NGV, if you’re in Melbourne)
– book a trip to visit MONA in Tasmania
– open up pintrest and create an art based vision board
– find your old paints and draw a circle.
If you like music:
– find your old instrument
– create a top 10 list of music you’d like to learn to play or sing
– book tickets to a local band, festival
– go down to your local to see up and coming bands
– write down 5 ideas for a song
– book into a musical
– sing in the shower – LOUDLY!!!
What you do next is up to you…..
I’d love to hear from you, what you did do next? Did you book something? Write something? Play something?
Did you sing loudly in the shower?
Let me know by commenting on this post.
For extra reading, I recommend BIG MAGIC by Elizabeth Gilbert – it’s a game changer!
Please follow and like us: